Ask a Urologist   »  

Circumcised due to health reasons. Hurts to touch it. On medication for hypertension. How to get relief?

Hi, due to health reasons, i was circumsised 4 days ago...i am 57yrs old.
The painkillers are working in all but one area. exposed penis head, i cant bear to touch it, and even going to the toilet is a major chore.
I can hardly long will it be before i can touch it as normal again?
I am on medication for hypertention which has been under control now for 6yrs, but apart from that i am in general good health

Many thanks B.
Posted Tue, 24 Jul 2012 in Penis Problems
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 27 minutes later
Hello and thanks fir the query.
The pain and swelling are the few issues after circumcision but they tend to gradually become alright in 2 weeks after the surgery.however swelling may take a bit longer.
Have patience.
The bad thing is that you can not do anything to speed up the process of healing.
I hope I am clear
You are free to ask any more query.
Best of luck
Follow-up: Circumcised due to health reasons. Hurts to touch it. On medication for hypertension. How to get relief? 30 minutes later
So i will be able to touch the penis head (which is raw and sore) as normal in a couple of weeks?
If the head has had protection from the foreskin in the will it get used to being "open" and raw?
Does it form a type of film etc over it?
I am really sorry but, at the moment i cant get used to the head being "open" and unprotected.....i should be going to work in the next week i suppose but i can hardly walk at the moment.
Regards B
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 3 hours later
 Cutting the foreskin off desensitizes the penis. Circumcision also causes the surface of the externalized glans to dry out, thicken, and toughen, causing even more desensitization. Many circumcised males have a hard time dealing with the realization that their penis has been permanently desensitized. 
You will be able to touch your glans once desensitization process is complete.
Once this happens,you shall be able to go to your work.