Chronic cough for three months. Do not know what to do

I have had a bad cough for 3 months now,,i have been to the Dr. 3 times already and dont know what to do now
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
Chronic cough is usually a symptom of an underlying condition. Some common causes of chronic cough include:
• Asthma
• Allergic rhinitis
• Sinusitis
• Gastroesophageal reflux disease: There is a backward flow of stomach acid and other contents into the esophagus. This leads to an activation of certain reflexes which lead to spasm of the airways that can cause shortness of breath and coughing.
Cigarette smoking.
It can also be a side effect of anti hypertensive lisinopril.

I would suggest that you consult your general practitioner who can advise certain tests like a chest Xray sputum examination, blood tests like TLC(total leukocyte count),IgE (immunoglobulin E) and ESR(erythrocyte sedimentation rate) .and prescribe appropriate therapy.

Meanwhile you can follow the following remedies:
1. Stay hydrated. Fluids can help reduce the dryness of the airway and help symptoms
2. Gargling with hot saltwater can help cleanse the throat.
3. Elevate your head with pillows at night to ease a chronic dry cough.
4. Do not smoke or use tobacco product.
5. Avoid inhaling irritants such as smoke, dust, or other pollutants.
6. Ginger and balsam (tulsi) used in tea, also reduces dry cough.
7. Avoid hot and spicy foods

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.