Chronic cough for long time with pain in collar bone. What is advisable?

Dec 2012

Im 51 and female. 5' , 122lbs in good health, Been coughing .. Tickle in the throat, dry, hard cough, for about a year. I work out of an old home and thought maybe it was due to an allergy. Today, I have noticed a lot of pn. Just below my L collar bone and in my upper back. It hurts continually, but is worse when I try to take a deeper breath in and out. My resting pulse is 83. I'm a little more tired than normal, today.
Posted Mon, 28 Oct 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Sounds to me like chronic lung diseases

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for posting on XXXXXXX

I can not help but wonder if you ever considered seeing a doctor for a year that you have been experiencing these symptoms before you started developing chest pain.
Chronic cough has a lot of causes (such as tobacco use, postnasal drip, asthma and acid reflux). Amongst the most common causes of chronic cough with acute exacerbation of chest pain, we have:

- Postnasal drip. When your nose or sinuses produce extra mucus, it can drip down the back of your throat and trigger your cough reflex. This condition is also called upper airway cough syndrome.
- Asthma. An asthma-related cough may come and go with the seasons, appear after an upper respiratory tract infection, or become worse when you're exposed to cold air or certain chemicals or fragrances. In one type of asthma (cough-variant asthma), a cough is the main symptom.
- Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD). In this common condition, stomach acid flows back into the tube that connects your stomach and throat (esophagus). The constant irritation can lead to chronic coughing. The coughing, in turn, worsens GERD — a vicious cycle.
- Respiratory tract infection or inflammation: chronic inflammatory conditions such as chronic obstructive pulmonary diseases/COPD (hardly unlikely because of absence of airway obstruction), chronic bronchitis, recurrent bronchial infections.
- Allergies: Rarely but could be responsible for your symptoms.
to me, given your past history, your condition maybe related to asthma and the pain maybe coming from bronchial constriction (which is usually found just below or beneath the collar bone).
I suggest right now, that you see a pulmonologist who can examine you, run a chest x-ray with some blood test to determine the actual cause so appropriate medication can be provided. Unfortunately for you, there is not much you can do to feel better.

Hope this helps and wish you the best.
Dr. Nsah