What could be the cause and treatment for continuous cold and cough?

Allergist and Immunologist
hello, I had fever cold and cough 3 weeks before. the fever was only for a couple of days while the child later for a week but the cough still continues. the cough is only intense in the morning when I wake up and in the morning when I get back to sleep. what's happening to me
Posted Fri, 27 Dec 2013 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Sujoy Khan 26 minutes later
Brief Answer: Chest X Ray required Detailed Answer: Hello, Welcome to Healthcare Magic. You have not mentioned your age, but it is important that a fever, cough & cold lasting more than 3 weeks could be sign of an atypical pneumonia. Atypical means infection with not the usual organisms. Atypical pneumonia screen (blood test and sputum c/s) with Chest X Ray is required if you have not had these tests. Hemogram, Biochemical profile, Dust allergy screen (with total IgE levels), CRP will also give an idea of other parameters that may have led to this episode, especially if the first set of tests subsequently come back negative (or normal). STOP smoking if you do, as it certainly does not help. Only cough may suggest cough-variant asthma, and lung function tests will be required if the above entire set of tests are normal. A combination of long-acting antihistamines, PPI like Pantoprazole, Salbair (or Asthalin inhaler), Tantrum gargles with a nasal spray if the optimum medical management of cough-variant asthma with or without GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease or in layman terms, excessive acidity). I hope that was useful. Best Wishes.