Chronic cough, done endoscopic sinus surgery and septoplasty with no relief. Suggestions to get relief?

ENT Specialist
Hi Doctor
I am Himanshu XXXXXXX age 32 years, Male residing in Mumai for the past 3 years. I am suffering from Chronic Cough for the past many years and every time checked with doctor, they told me the reason is Sinus and given some medicine that sooner or later relieved me with this cough. However, this year i again got this cough during change of monsoon season in Mumbai and i consulted physician and he advised me to check for ENT specialist. I did the same and the doctor identified the disease as " Deviated Nasal Septrum and Bla Concha Bullera & maxilliary Sinusitis" and treated me with " Fuctional Endoscopic Sinus Surgery & Septoplasty" and given medicines as below:
Mitt's Linctus Codiene
Mucaine gel and
Deinide Nasal Spray and Solspray

I am taking this medicines for the past 15 days howeve, still finding no relief from the cough.
The medical reports before the surgery suggest no deviation in blood test, ECG, Chest X XXXXXXX and Allergy.
Can you suggest what should i do to get relief from this?
Himanshu XXXXXXX
Posted Fri, 20 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 2 hours later

Cough of a long duration, also known as chronic cough is due to various reasons and one among them is Sinusitis. The other common causes of chronic cough are acidity, bronchitis, wax in the ear, cardiac problems, etc.

In your case, considering the age and symptoms it could be either due to Sinusitis or Laryngo-pharyngeal reflux (LPR). As you have already undergone surgery for sinusitis, the causes of heart and lung conditions have been ruled out, and your report does not shown any Eosinophilia (increase in the eosinophil count – an indicator of allergy), then the other most probable cause could be LPR.

You need to take proton pump inhibitors (such as Esomeprazole or Pantoperazole) to reduce the production of the acid in the stomach and a prokinetic to increase the gastric emptying time.

Apart from this do steam inhalation, drink plenty of warm water and avoid coffee/ antihistaminic if any.

I hope I have answered your query; I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon