Chronic alcoholic. Suffered from continuous vomiting and disoriented behaviour. What's wrong?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Nov 2013
Nov 2013

Neurologist
Question
Sir,
My father was a chronic alcoholic... last month he was admitted to the hospital as he suffered from continuous vommitting and disoriented behavior... A CT scan was done followed by an MRI (P+C) the result of which is as follows:
Multiple conglomerated rim enhancing lesions in left frontal lobe with enhancement of adjacent meninges and show restricted diffusion on DW images. The possibility would be Tuberculomas.
His medicines started 1 week ago but recently, since the past 2-3 days he vomits and today he was sweating a lot... Can't make out actually what went wrong or if its just a side effect of the medicines... Please help me Sir..
Posted Sat, 3 Nov 2012 in Sleep Disorders

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 2 hours later
Thank you for contacting Healthcare magic.

First of all, I want to reassure you that tuberculomas of the brain are fully treatable with medications, though they are required for a long time (18 months to be precise).

Regarding vomiting, anti-tb medicines are known to cause that.

In addition, the antI-tb medications may cause liver involvement at times as a side effect. So, you may do a blood test for that- liver function tests (LFT)-to exclude that.

I hope it helps. Please get back if you have any more queries.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Medicine) DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad

Follow-up: Chronic alcoholic. Suffered from continuous vomiting and disoriented behaviour. What's wrong? 28 minutes later
How strong may be the side effects of the medicines? Is it too serious? How long will it possibly take the patient to adapt himself to the medicines? In case the medicines do not work, is there another cure?

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 8 minutes later
Thank you for getting back.
Patients adapt to TB medicines quite well.
In case, your father does not tolerate the current medications, he can be put on other TB medications.
If liver function tests are normal, there is no need to worry.
For control of vomiting, you may use medicines such as domperidone or ondansetron.
Please discuss these issues with your treating physician. It can easily be sorted out.
I hope it helps.
Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM

Follow-up: Chronic alcoholic. Suffered from continuous vomiting and disoriented behaviour. What's wrong? 8 minutes later
Thanks a lot Sir. Probably a liver function test will be done tomorrow. Actually he's admitted to railway hospital here, and doctors here are quite reluctant to discuss the issues with the patient's family.. They simply prescribe medicines.. I was worried about my father's condition , so thought of taking the help of this site.. Am happy with the response. Thank you once again..

XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 55 minutes later
Take care and do get back if you require any additional help/information.
Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM