Chills, shaking, breathlessness, stiff body. Have flu-like symptoms in the evening. What happened?

Suddenly last night I got severe chills so bad that my entire body could not stop shaking (teeth chattering) even though I had a heating pad and held it close. It affected my breathing and my body was kind of locked up/stiff from cold shakes. I worked hard mentally to stop but this lasted for about 15-20 minutes. Then within an hour or so I woke up profusly sweating. I took my temp and it read 101.5 - for me my normal temp is slightly lower than the average but not much. Over the last year, and happening more frequent recently, I would have flu like symptoms in the evening. I would go to bed with the heating pad and wake up perfectly fine the next day. I had been on an over loaded schedule and have a good amount of stress in my life which I always handle pretty well with meditation and exercise. I thought these occurences were from stress as one time I had a massage and those symptoms occured after and left when I I have always been very healthy, 119-123 lbs 5'5" and am 50 years old. I exercise regularly except last 2-3 months due to crazy schedule. I still have regular monthly periods. What happened last night?
Posted Fri, 8 Jun 2012 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 2 hours later
Hello and thanks for the query.
I understand your concern and will try to help you.
Since fever with chills and rigors associated with night sweats occur in so many conditions that,to make the diagnosis,a doctor has to ask for a detailed history.
Please supply the following informations to me so that I can help you in finding the cause for your fever.
Have you recently visited some other country?
Is there any history of rash?
Are you suffering from any repeated attacks of urine infection?
Are you taking any regular medicine for a long time?
Do you suffer from any cough?
Have you been tested for diabetes?
Have you noticed any weight loss?
Is there any abnormal vaginal discharge?
Is there any history of repeated attacks of diarrhea?
Is there any breathlessness present?
Is there any history of fever occurring on every second day or third day?
Waiting for your reply
Follow-up: Chills, shaking, breathlessness, stiff body. Have flu-like symptoms in the evening. What happened? 31 minutes later
Thank you Doctor. To answer:

Last time out of country was last XXXXXXX 2011 in Barranquilla, Colombia where I had lived in the 90's.
No history of rash;
No urine infections (only one about a year ago or so);
No medicines rarely an Alieve pain relief;
Little tiny cough night of sweats very little - still little there this morning but not much. Actually went to gym this morning and felt okay.
Never been tested for diabetes but have a pretty good sweet tooth I try to keep in line not eating too many sweets;
No weight loss;
No vaginal discharge;
No diarrhea;
Not really any breathlessness tiny bit last night today when I breath XXXXXXX or am talking makes me have a little cough - no real flem.
No occurring fevers;
I did get a kink in my lower back and stiff neck I think perhaps made a wrong move working out and/or stress.
Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 21 minutes later
You should get your CBC,blood sugar,urine routine examination,malaria antigen and x-ray chest done as basic tests in consultation with your doctor.
Although there are many causes for fever with chills and rigors with night sweat but most likely causes in you could be
Urine tract infection
Diabetic hypoglycemia.
Let us first rule out these common conditions and if nothing is found in these investigations,then more investigations can be carried out later on.
I hope to have answered your query however you can revert to me for any other query.
Follow-up: Chills, shaking, breathlessness, stiff body. Have flu-like symptoms in the evening. What happened? 15 minutes later
Yes, okay that sounds good. I agree. I have never had any of these tests done including high blood pressure and collesterol. Thank you. XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 11 hours later
Please do get all these investigations done.