Child's penis hurts, reddened and burns even after lotion application. Why?

My 9 yr. old son came to me and said his penis hurts. Its red when you lift the penis up at the base almost to the head. I tried to put some cream on it and he said it burned. what can I do ????
Posted Thu, 19 Apr 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Radhika 1 hour later
Thanks for posting the query.
I understand your concern.

Your son could be suffering from phimosis, a condition in which the child gets severe pain on trying to retract the foreskin. Other possibilities include balanitis or inflammation of the foreskin and head of the penis which can be caused by infection, trauma and different chemicals.

I suggest that you try the following measures
•     Apply an antibiotic ointment like Mupirocin after your son has been evaluated by a physician
•     Do not try and forcibly retract the foreskin
•     Avoid harsh soaps and lotions

I hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if you have no further queries.