Child with single petachia. CBC came normal. Would a CBC rule out leukemia?

My son age 3 years old has a single petachia. He had a CBC today which came back normal. Would a CBC rule out leukemia? What could have caused the petachia? Can trauma cause it? He is all boy. I tend to be a worrier and wanted to be reassured.
Posted Tue, 2 Apr 2013 in Blood Disorders
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 21 minutes later
Hello and thanks for the query.

A normal complete blood count in general would help to rule out leukemia. This is especially the case if your son has a normal white blood cell count as well as normal platelet count.

I suspect what you have observed is due to some type of minor trauma. I would expect the area to slowly resolve over the next several days. If he develops other areas that look similar which are not related to any type of trauma this would be something which would need to be investigated.

A single area of bruise or petichiae is not so concerning right now Especially in the setting of a normal complete blood count. Also if he is otherwise well and has no issues with excessive fevers night sweats or weight loss this is even more of a reason to believe that this is an isolated episode and not something to be majorly concerned about.

Thank you again for sending your question. Please let me know if you have any additional concerns that you would like to discuss.

Dr. Galamaga