Child with pus filled bump on head scalp. Started to spread around neck and forehead. Cause and cure?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
My 6 yr old son has pus filled bump on the center of his head in his scalp, they are starting to spread to the skin ,around the neck and forehead area. I have tried different types of medicated shampoos and also anti bacteria creams/anti infection creams. Now I am putting bump away on them. The bumps or not responding. What could be the cause of this?
Posted Thu, 7 Mar 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 2 hours later
The causes of such bumps could be a bacterial or fungal infection of the skin of the scalp. Since you have applied many local ointments with no relief makes me think that it could most probably be tinea capitis a type of fungal infection of scalp which would best respond to oral antifungals.I would recommend that first and foremost you get your son evaluated by a dermatologist for confirming the diagnosis and then appropriate treatment can be initiated.
The treatment would include an anti fungal shampoo( ketoconazole) and oral agents ( fluconazole, terbinafine etc) over a four week course . To avoid superinfection with bacteria or if the lesions are infected ( pus filled) local antibiotic ointments ( mupirocin ) might be helpful . Sometimes an oral antibiotic like amoxicillin might be needed if the lesions are not due to fungal infection but a bacterial skin infection. So the next best step would be to get a confirmed diagnosis by examination and woods lamp/ KOH test. Then the treatment will readily resolve the condition in a couple of weeks.
Hope I have answered your query.
Let me know if you have any further doubts.