Child was given stilnox pill instead of antihistamine. Will it harm the child?

Pediatrician, Pulmonology
HI My 12 year old took a 10 ml stilnox pill thinking he was taking his antihistamine. I made him through several times up about 1 hour after he took it and right now I have him next to me. What should we do??
Posted Sun, 1 Dec 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Arun 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Keep a close watch Detailed Answer: Hi Thanks for writing to WWW.WWWW.WW Stilnox is zolpidem which has sedative effects. usually one dose shouldnt be a problem Just keep observing him closely. If he is drowsy, with delusions and excessive sleepiness, take him to a nearby medical center . Flumazenil is the antidote but may not be required unless he is very drowsy. Hope i answered your query Wishing your kid speedy recovery Regards Dr Arun