Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
152 Doctors are Online

Child swallowed listerine. What to do?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 1986
Answered : 290 Questions
My 3 year old swallowed about 5ml of listerine. What doi need to do?
Posted Wed, 30 May 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Haseena Hamdani 1 hour later

Usually 5ml is a small dose to give any toxicity, except that he must be having corrosive mouth and tongue.

You can give him Aluminum Hydroxide containing Antacid gel, immediately. keep him warm. Check continuously for his breathing. He may feel sedated or sleepy, because of the Alcohol contents. So keep a watchful eye.
You give him banana, toasted bread and bland food for this day.

You should take him to the nearby Doctor immediately for Aspiration of fluid from stomach, and lavage, and close observation--

If he has any other symptoms like Vomiting, diarrhoea, abdominal pains, tremors,
If you are not sure about the amount of Listerine ingested.
Any unusual symptoms

I hope, it will help you in taking immediate care of your child.


Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Pediatrician

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor