Child suffering from tonsillitis. Surgery needed?

ENT Specialist
Sir !
My 5yrs. old daughter is suffering from Tonsillitis since last year. We take utmost care but still she can not sleep in winter nights well because of large sizes. Can u please suggest us for surgery, if yes where? Next month we are planning to go to CMC Vellore.
Posted Fri, 22 Feb 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 1 hour later

Thank you for your query.

1. In a 5 year old child, adenoid hypertrophy is a leading cause of nasal obstruction and sleep disturbance in addition to very large tonsils.

2. Hence you should get a Lateral X-ray of the Skull for Adenoids done. You may share the X-ray here for further management options.

3. Adenoids are located behind the nose and above the plate. The tissue hypertrophies between the ages of 3 and 7 years. It usually regresses after the age of 8 years and is not detectable in most children by the age of 12 to 15 years.

4. Chronic tonsillitis is operated of there are more than 5 to 6 attacks over 2 to 3 years. Besides the size of the tonsils, the presence of anterior pillar congestion and palpable non-tender JD (Jugulo Digastric) Lymph Nodes are the important criteria for deciding on the need for an operation. Does she have all these signs and symptoms?

5. In Bokaro, you may approach Dr. XXXXXXX Moonka who is the Joint Director - Medical Health Services at the SAIL Bokaro Steel Plant General Hospital. CMC Vellore is also a good institute.

6. There is a choice of different methods for the operation. However you may leave this technical decision to your doctor.

7. A trial of medication may be given before the final decision to operate is taken.

I hope that I have answered your query. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.