Child suffering from fever, loose motions and cough. What precautions should be taken?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Feb 2013
Feb 2013
Excellent

Pediatrician
Question
My child is getting lot of cough and loose motions 6-10 times a day while the teeths are coming out. Also normal fever. So ur guidelines will surely help me to take appropriate precautions
Posted Fri, 20 Dec 2013 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 21 minutes later
Brief Answer: Give ORS and maintain child hydration. Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXX Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic. You did not mention the age of the child. Teething is not the cause for her loose stools but keeping hands it the mouth because of irritation resulting from teeth eruption will lead to loose stools. Contamination by hands will lead to loose stools. The mainstay of treatment in loose stools is to maintain the hydration of the child. Give sips of oral rehydration solutions (ORS) such as Pedialyte to maintain hydration. And monitor child hydration status by activity, urine output, skin turgor, and moisture of tongue and oral cavity. In addition to ORS, oral probiotic and Zinc in prescribed dose will help to decrease the loose stools. Keep the child hands clean by frequently washing them and keep the floors, toys, and child belongings clean and neat to prevent contamination. For fever, you can give paracetamol drops or syrup in prescribed dose as per the weight of the child. For cough, child needs physical examination by the doctor to look whether lungs are clear and depending on examination cough medication can be prescribed. Therefore I suggest you to consult the Pediatrician for clinical examination and to prescribe specific treatment. Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know. Regards.

Follow-up: Child suffering from fever, loose motions and cough. What precautions should be taken? 12 hours later
Thanks for your suggestions. My child is exactly one year old. Am having Z & D Powder containing zinc and enerzal for loose tools. Also generally using Crosine & Cinarest and some other paracetamol syrup for fever & cold. I also have similar drugs for cough. The reason I took your advise is because, though am giving appropriate dose by consulting Pediatrician, but i dont see quick recovery for cough and loose stools while the teeths are coming out. It is normally taking 5 - 8 days for her to recover. So is this the normal trend for every child or there are some additional methods to prevent such issues in child ?

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 8 hours later
Brief Answer: Take basic hygienic precautions. Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXX Thank you for getting back. Cough and loose stools will take 5 to 7 days to subside completely with medication. This is normally seen in children. Additional methods to prevent such issues are to maintain her hands hygiene regularly and avoid the child exposure to crowds and people with cold and cough. As the age increases, children will get resistance and immunity against these infections and the frequency of such episodes decreases, usually after the age of 6 years. And give all recommended vaccinations as per the schedule with the advice of pediatrician. Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know. Regards.