Child suffering from fever and shivering. What should I do?

Pediatrician, Pulmonology
hi doctor My kid is suffering from high fever from past two days of fever around 103 to 104 .He had bit shivering on first day second day fever is there but no shivering .We went to local doctor he suggested blood test ,we got reports of malaria as negative but WBC is 23000 and c Reactive protein value of 38.6,So please suggest us regarding the treatment and problem of my kid He becomes dull when fever is high but otherwise he will be active but he is in taking only milk and very less of rice when he has fever Your suggestions would of great help to me ,I am very tensed about my kid. Thanks XXXXX
Posted Fri, 27 Dec 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Arun 45 minutes later
Brief Answer: Do not panic. Detailed Answer: Hi Thanks for writing to health care magic. If your kid continues to have fever , considering the reports I would start antibiotics usually amoxicillin in such patients. But there is no reason to panic as counts and crp are usually elevated in bacterial infections of respiratory tract. Continue paracetamol and give him liquids like milk which he is taking . Don't bother about rice intake . If fever settles he should be able to take them . Wishing your kid speedy recovery. Regards Dr Arun
Follow-up: Child suffering from fever and shivering. What should I do? 9 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX Thanks for your advice but the local doctor was telling him to admit in hospital to give IVB 's I really dont understand if there is any such need ,Please help me why is he telling so ,we have given urine and blood for culture test but we would get results only on Tuesday ,please let me know till tuesday can we use amoxylin antibiotic suggested by that doctor or it would be too late if there are any blood or urine infections,Please advice XXXXX
Answered by Dr. Arun 6 minutes later
Brief Answer: all depends on your kids activity Detailed Answer: Hi If your kid is active and taking liquids and passing urine you can wait for 48 hours to see antibiotics response. Arun