Child suffering from cold and cough. On alerid, nasivion and asthalin puff. Blocked nose and severe coughing. Suggest the cure?

Question
My son is of 3 years old.he is suffering fro cold and cough with wheezing since 21 month
Actually my pediatrician had suggested earlier with : Levolin, alerid, nasivion and asthalin puff[2 times a day] for 2 weeks andZiprax, bricarex-A, T-minic, nasivion, karvol plus drops andasthalin puff[2 times a day] for next 2 weeks for wheezing, cough and running nose.My child was near to normal after these medications. But suddenly after one week, he was prone to blocked nose with thick mucus and Severe coughing. So, Pediatrician refered ENT specialist.
Now: Where ENT specialist suggested today with Bro zedex syrup: 5ml x 2 weeks and predmet 4mg tablets :[1.5 tablet x 2times for 3days and 1tablet x 2times for 3 days and 1 tablet once per day for 3days] and told to stop all other medicines suggested earlier by pediatrician including the puff.
Now he is looking better .But since i heard predmet 4mg tablets is an steriods like of medicine and it has huge side effects. so, i like to know whether its ok to give this medicine to 3 years old child . Please suggest in this regard
Posted Sat, 2 Nov 2013 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Venkata Subrahmanaym Mukkavilli 20 hours later
Brief Answer:
Inhaled steroids better than oral steroids

Detailed Answer:

I understand your concern and anxiety for your son.

Your history suggests that your son is suffering from asthma. Both the doctors have given correct prescription.

Your son responded to ENT doctor's prescription because he added steroid as you rightly pointed out, steroids will have side effects.

To minimise or avoid side effects better replace oral steroids to inhaled preparations. The inhaled preparations directly go to lungs, quick action, less or no side effects.

you can use budecort respules through nebulisation or inhalor with a spacer.

I shall be happy to answer any more queries. Hope this answer will serve your purpose.

Dr.M.V.Subrahmanyam MD;DCH
Associate professor of pediatrics

Follow-up: Child suffering from cold and cough. On alerid, nasivion and asthalin puff. Blocked nose and severe coughing. Suggest the cure? 24 minutes later
Hi Doctor,
Thanks for your reply.
But I heard that the predment tablets, can't be stopped at once and it has to be tapered down slowly .
Prescribed Dosage: predmet 4mg tablets :[1.5 tablet x 2times for 3days and 1tablet x 2times for 3 days and 1 tablet once per day for 3days]

Today, we complete 6 days as per prescription. so can you please suggest that can we stop the tablets at this instant. please suggest in this .
Thanks & Regards,
XXXX

Also, In addition to my previous query, Also can you please suggest the Correct dosage to use budecort respules though nebulizer.

Thanks & regards,
XXXX

Answered by Dr. Venkata Subrahmanaym Mukkavilli 5 days later
Brief Answer:
detailed instructions are below

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your query

you may taper steroid as your doctor has advised or stop it as the duration is < 1 week. You get one budecort inhaler give one puff through a spacer and a face mask and make him inhale. You may repeat the same 3-4 times as per requirement.

Hope i have answered both your queries.

Dr mv subrahmanyam