Child suffering from chest pain after playing. Should I be worried?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
My 8 year old daughter often complains of chest pain. She complains mainly after her play time. As per her, the pain goes away after sometime. Should this be cause of worry? Should I get her ECG done?
Posted Wed, 7 Nov 2012 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 54 minutes later
Chest pain in kids this age is very often due to minor conditions like costochondroitis ( rib pain) or muscle pain due to overexertion or Problems like anemia or hypocalcemia and rarely due to cardiac conditions .
However if the pain has lasted for a long time or progressively increasing in severity or frequency then it's best to get her evaluated by her pediatrician and get baseline investigations like blood counts ,X-ray and ECG .
As of now it doesn't appear to be worrisome and is most likely a bone pain or muscle cramp which can be related to exertion and which doesn't need any specific therapy .
However a routine examination by her pediatrician would atleast rule out any possibility of serious illness and relieve your anxiety.
Hope I have answered your query.
I'll be available for any follow up queries.
Wishing her good health.