Child suffered a bump on the head after a fall. What should I look out for?

Nov 2013

My 8 yr old slipped in the shower and hit the back if his head. It is not cut but has large rectangular bump. Gave him an ice pack, what else should I monitor.? No confusion or sleepiness reported.
Posted Sun, 7 Apr 2013 in Head Injuries
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 36 minutes later

Thank you for posting your query.

The symptoms are suggestive of scalp hematoma (bleeding underneath the skin over head). There is no need to worry, as there are no signs of any XXXXXXX brain injury.

Please watch for the following warning signs-

Severe headache, recurrent vomiting, drowsiness, double vision, fits, weakness of arm or leg.

If any of these occur, you may take him to the ER and get a CT scan of head done.

I hope it helps. Please get back if you have any more queries.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad