Child scratched nose, swelling reduced after icing. No bleeding or discharge. Wondering if I should take him to the doctor.

ENT Specialist
My son is 19 months and fell and hit the part that looks like a t, I guess it is called the bridge of the nose last night about 10pm from the wood part of the end of the bed. On top of his nose is bruised, looks like a scratch, bled a few seconds but stopped but the t part of his nose was very swollen. He cried for a minute or two but was back to playing like nothing happened. We played for another hour and then he went to sleep. I did put ice on the t part of the nose for 15 min an hour for about 2 hours. A lot of the swelling has gone down from last night but there is still a bump swelling on both sides around this area and was wondering if I should still take him to the doctor first thing. No bleeding or liquid of any kind came out of his nose.
Worry wart mom
Posted Thu, 19 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 5 hours later

Thank you for your query.

1. Since there was no bleeding or fluid from his nose following the injury, there should be no cause for worry. These are fairly common injuries as the nose is the most prominent part of the face.

2. You have taken the correct course of action for first aid.

3. The injury seems to be an external injury only. The swelling may take may days to subside. The discoloration may last longer.

4. You should get him seen by a doctor as soon a possible. You may share a photograph, however XXXXXXX examination is not possible. Your doctor may prescribe anti inflammatory medication and local medicated ointment to help decrease the swelling faster.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.