Child on meftal for low temperature. Not getting cured. Should I go to hospital?

Dec 2012

HI, My Son (11 months old) having low temperature (94.6) currently @ 3 AM. We have given him meftal before sleep as he is having fever from few days. As per pediatric suggestion, we are giving meftal only when there is fever (more than 100) . But today we have given it when he has normal temperature itself. Will low temperature an alert for us?? Do we need to take him to hospital or will it be fine if we try make his body warm??
Posted Sat, 30 Mar 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 18 minutes later

Thanks for posting on XXXXXXX
If the temperature is actually 94.6 F (taken either rectally, mouth, armpit, body or ear) then it becomes an emergency. Hypothermia as it presents always represent a sign of sepsis which is a serious condition in an 11 months old child. I suggest you stop meftal and take your son to the hospital (if no other symptoms are presenting along side the hypothermia/low temperature it is a good sign).
Start by making his body warm, then rush him to the hospital. I might be transitory because of probably exposure to cold, but I would not allow you to take the chance.
Please, consider this an emergency.
NB. Meftal does not cause hypothermia (as side effect) even when given in normal temperature, so if you have low temperature, then it is sign of fever and probably that the infection has spread from the Urinary tract to his blood system.

Hope this helps and wish you the best.
Dr. Bernard