Child often falls ill, doesn't eat properly and get stomach ache after eating. Suggest diet?

Feb 2013

My son is 4 and half yrs, very often he falls ill. he doesnt eat properly. i have consulted docs in various hospitals but they say that its growing age and they are very prone to get the infections due to various reasons. how to increase his diet. he is very active though. he also gets the stomach ache and always say that there is pain after eating food.
Posted Sun, 8 Sep 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 18 hours later
Brief Answer:
Evaluate for stomach ache by examination & tests

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

Children below the age of 6 years are prone to frequent infections such as cold, cough, diarrhea, and bacterial skin infections.

This is due to their frequent exposure to pathogens and because of low immunity.

At the same time, because of this exposure the children will get resistance and immunity against the frequently occurring common pathogens by the age of 6 years and the frequency of infections will decrease after the age of 6 years.

As he is active, nothing to worry.

Monitor his weight and height by using the growth charts at regular intervals to know the growth is appropriate or not according to his age.

Give balanced and nutritious diet.

Be patient while feeding the child, don't force to feed as this will lead to food aversion.

Encourage him to feed himself.

You can increase his dietary intake of calories and protein by adding extra amounts of ghee to his regular food. Give snacks made with ground nuts as they contain high protein and calories.

Coming to stomachache, it is a frequent symptom in children which often occurs after taking food.

But observe for the severity, associated symptoms like fever, vomitings, loose motions, abdominal distention and if they are present consult the doctor for physical examination.

Observe his stool for the presence of worms, do a stool test for ova and cysts, and deworming medication to be administered once in every 6 months with the advise of your pediatrician.

And an ultrasound abdomen and pelvis will rule out the organic causes of stomach pain if the pain persists.

Therefore I advise you to consult the pediatrician for physical examination and for investigations to rule out the common causes of stomach ache in the child.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.