Child is suffering from early-stage chicken pox. What precautions and steps should I follow?

Nephrologist
Question
Hi Doc,

I have a son who is 2.5 yrs old and is suffering from chicken pox. Now it is at the early stage for him. Please let me know what are the precautions and steps that i should follow.

Thanks
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 4 hours later
Hello

Thanks for the query

Chicken pox is caused by varicella zoster. It is a viral infection which is contagious through coughing or sneezing (air borne).
Chicken pox is contagious two to three days before the rash appears and continues to be so until crusts form. Vesicular lesions appear over the body which tends to subside in a weeks time.
Children often complain of malaise, head ache and lower back ache. Fever will be present but not of high grade and paracetamol is the drug of choice to counter it. The vesicles normally dry up as crusts and won't leave permanent scars.

1. Chicken pox in children usually is self limiting and will subside without any complications
2. Anti histamines like levocetrizine or syrups of chlorpheneramine maleate can be given to reduce the itching and inflammation
3. Follow a bland diet, avoid milk products like cheese and butter and fried foods
4. Soda bicarbonate bath can help relieve the itching
5. Keep the child well hydrated with lots of water and juices
6. If the fever doesn't subside in 3 to 5 days please XXXXXXX your Pediatrician

I hope I have answered your query, please accept my answer if you have no further queries

I wish your child a speedy recovery