Child is struggling to concentrate, irritable, gaining weight. Is this normal?

Hi my daughter is 9 years old very active , but is struggling the concenrate, is irritable and gainning i little weight is this normal... I was 11 years old when i started my period is it possible she is pre menstral? She swims 3 x a week a total 4.2kms per week. I am very vigilant when screening her food for preservatives, she is wormed regularly and sleeps 8-10 hrs per night but is still very tired grumpy and poor with concenration. She has complained of lower back pain when standing or walking for too long.
Posted Sun, 12 Aug 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan 34 minutes later

Thanks for writing in.

You might be right. The fact that she complains of low back pain while standing or walking for too long, she is irritable,tired and grumpy, might mean periods is around the corner. Now is the right time to talk to your daughter about periods, what to expect etc.

In addition, find out is something is bothering her. Problems at school ,friends etc. If she continues to feel tired for a prolonged period, it would be a good idea to take her to a paediatrician and check her hemoglobin levels and thyroid function test.

Hope I have answered your question. In case you don't have any further questions , kindly accept my answer. Any reviews are welcome.

Have a great day.

Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan

Follow-up: Child is struggling to concentrate, irritable, gaining weight. Is this normal? 22 hours later
Hi Dr K thank you that has eased my mind and i will talk to her about both periods and life in general thank.

I do have one more question but it is for myself.

I have had two children the youngest is 5, the first birth was 5hrs and. I had 3rd degree tear that required 2 stitches, and the second was 3hrs with no compilcations. In the last 4 months intermitantly I have had lower abdomial pain - stingy dull ache and i have noticed that I do have slight odour and sometimes I think my urine has greenish tinghe. And in the last day I have a slight very slight burning when peeing. I do drink a lot of water and always have done so urination is always often but completely empting can take two or three visits. I am on my last course of duramine for weight loss and am currently 75kg 168cm tall. Age 33.

My mum is 53 and has just had full bladder prolapse surgery but other then that there is no maternal female health issues in the family tree.

Can you help?
Answered by Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan 2 hours later

You might be suffering from urinary tract infection; as evidenced by your lower abdominal pain and burning urination.

1.You are doing the right thing by drinking a lot of water to flush out the toxins.
2. Follow good perineal hygiene.
3. Periodic emptying of the bladder at regular intervals(every 3-4 hours or so depending on the weather, water intake etc).
4. Emptying the bladder before and after sexual intercourse.
5. Try to follow double micturition; At night before going to bed empty the bladder and after 15 minutes, go once again.
I am assuming there is no curdy white vaginal discharge as candidiasis can sometimes present with burning micturition.
If you are worried about prolapse etc, I would suggest you practise Kegel's exercise i.e while passing urine try to stop the flow by contracting your perineal muscles, hold for a few seconds, then relax ,pass urine and again contract. This helps in tightening your pelvic floor muscles and might prevent prolapse later on in life.

I would advise you to visit your gynaecologist who might ask for investigations like urine routine and microscopy, urine culture and sensitivity etc. She would also be able to make sure that you have no vaginal infections or pelvic inflammatory disease.

Hope my answer was helpful .

Have a nice day.

Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan