Child is having puffiness under eyes with no health issues. What could be the cause?

Feb 2013

Hi Doctor,
My two year old daughter is having puffiness under her eyes for almost a month now. She seems healthy and playful, with no other health problems as such. She has been going to bed pretty late now a day (at 1 AM at night) and getting up at 11 AM in the morning). What could be the reason for the puffiness ? What is the remedy ?
Posted Sun, 11 Aug 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 33 minutes later

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

Puffiness under the eyes is seen in children with inadequate sleep, allergies, anemia, kidney problems such as nephrotic syndrome, and heart problems.

Insufficient sleep will lead to puffy eyes with tired look.

Look and observe for any allergic problems. If any allergen is found like food, plants, or animals, try to avoid the child exposure to it.

How is his urine output?

Is it adequate?

Is there any difference in the puffy eyes from morning to evening?

Urine quantity is decreased, and puffy eyes will be more prominent in the morning and as the day passes, the puffiness decreases in the evening in kidney problems.

As the child is active, healthy, and playful, the possibility of having medical problems is unlikely.

But a clinical examination by a pediatrician followed by doing relevant investigations for hemoglobin, complete urine examination, and related cardiac and renal tests will rule out any underlying medical problem.

Hence I advise you to consult the pediatrician for physical examination and for further evaluation depending on clinical examination.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know along with the details I have asked.