Ask a Urologist   »  

Child is having extremely small penis. What is this condition called?

My 5 yr old grandson has an extremely small penis. It literally looks like a button, it has not grown AT ALL since birth. I'm not sure if his testicles have any descended & I don't see a scrotum. What does this mean? Is there a name for this condition so that I can speak with his mother about this
Posted Sat, 11 May 2013 in Penis Problems
Answered by Dr. Y V Siva Sankara Murty 4 hours later

Thanks for writing to health care magic.

A extremely small penis is called a micropenis.
This conditions can occur with reduced testosterone production and may be associated with various syndromes.

Absence of scrotum and palpable testis is suggestive of ambiguous genitalia. Now your doctor will look if there is a palpable testis or not. Further investigations like ultra sound examination and karyotyping may be required.

I request you to take your grandson to the doctor at the earliest possible for further examination and investigations.

Hope this helps.