Child is having diarrhea, low appetite, looks pale and weak. What to do?

Small child 2 1/2 has no fewer but looks very weak and pale,has diarrhoea for four days light green colour & very very smelly, vomited yesterday only,no appetite and low fluid intake.What should we do?
Posted Sat, 11 May 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Y V Siva Sankara Murty 29 minutes later

Thanks for writing to health care magic.

I can understand the problem you are facing.

If a child has loose stools then we should monitor him for dehydration.

Monitor for signs of dehydration.
They include
1. Decreased skin turgor
2. Increasing thirst.
3. Sunken eyes.
4. Irritability.
5. Drowsiness.
6. Decreasing passage of urine.

Dehydration should be prevented and treated by giving oral rehydration solution. Any fluid containing salt and sugar can also be given.

If there is worsening of dehydration despite oral rehydration solution then we treat the baby with Intravenous fluids.

If there is fever or blood and mucus in the stool then we consider dysentry and start the child on antibiotics.

Zinc syrup and probiotics prescribed by your doctor are useful in child with loose stool.

Vomitings should be controlled with antiemetics prescribed by your doctor.

Appetite will be low in such circumstances and child should be encouraged to eat. He should not be force fed.

Green color of stool is not of much significance and only indicates increased bowel motility.

Hope I answered your query.
Feel free to ask further questions. I will be more than happy to answer them.