Child having sore throat, fever, cough, vomiting and loss of voice. Is this flu or strep?

ENT Specialist
is it cold, flu or strep?.Hi. My 14 year old daughter has a severe
sore throat that has reduced her to tears. Symptoms began about 24 hours ago starting with a XXXXXXX cough. Then cane sore throat, fever (not overly high...99-100), loss of voice and, just an hour ago, vomiting.

My question is how do I know its just a bad cold vs. flu or something else? When should I call the doctor and/or panic (chuckle)?
Posted Fri, 29 Mar 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 1 hour later

Thanks for posting the query

After going through the history I do feel your daughter is suffering from either acute pharyngitis or laryngitis (epiglottitis). It will require a thorough examination of the throat and nose to confirm the diagnosis.

Vomiting could be due to accumulation of thick phlegm in the throat or swollen epiglottis.

Either of the diagnosis, the treatment remains the same. She will require a course of potent antibiotics such as a combination of amoxycillin + clavulanic acid or cefuroxime to treat the same. An antipyretic (paracetamol) and an analgesic (ibuprofen) will be sufficient enough to treat the fever and the pain. Also, encourage your child to drink plenty of warm water and do steam inhalation 3-4 times a day.

Do not worry! With the above medications she should be alright. If you notice any breathing difficulty rush to the emergency for a steroid shot.

Hope this answers your query; revert back to me if you have any further queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon