Child having severe tonsillitis, fever. On azithromycin and amoxicillin. Abnormal blood and urine test reports. Is this proper treatment?

Question
Hi, my son - 8 years old, has been diagonised with severe tonsilitis. He had fever of 103 F in the first two days, however even after 4 days he still continues to have fever of around 100 F - though not for the full day. He started on an antibiotics course of Azithromycin and now has been prescribed Amoxicilin. We did his blood / urine tests and the only abnormal findings were:
WBC Count - 3900, Platelate count - 0000 and 4-6 pus cells in Urine. Is the treatment on the right track, when can we expect him to completely stop having the fever?
Posted Sat, 2 Jun 2012 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Chandra Shekhar Sharma 49 minutes later

How much time fever will take to come to normal depends upon severity of infection and response to antibiotics. As response to Azithromycin was not good, amoxicilin was prescribed. If fever doesn't decrease further, you can get culture and sensitivity test of his throat swab done. It will identify the causative organism and effective antibiotics against it.
I hope you must have shown him to E.N.T. specialist. If not, then please consult an E.N.T. specialist as early as possible, as his WBC and Platelet counts are not normal, & he might be suffering with viral infection.
Hope, you are satisfied with the answer. If you have any further query, I am available to help it out, but if you don't require further clarification, please close the discussion by accepting the answer & rate it as per your satisfaction. Thanks,
Wishing speedy recovery of your son,

Follow-up: Child having severe tonsillitis, fever. On azithromycin and amoxicillin. Abnormal blood and urine test reports. Is this proper treatment? 10 hours later
Dear Doctor, thanks for your response, we will consult an ENT specialist as you suggest. However wanted to confirm whether he has a Bacterial infection or a viral one? You are suggesting a throat / urine culture to identify the exact type of bacteria hence the question.

Thanks

Answered by Dr. Chandra Shekhar Sharma 39 minutes later

Thanks for writing in.

Chances of viral infection are more than bacterial infection. However we often come across mixed infections, so it is not easy to predict the type of infection.

A direct examination of tonsil by a competent ENT surgeon can differentiate between the two. Culture & sensitivity of throat swab helps in identifying bacteria and effective drugs, which is more useful in case of drug resistance. Hence I encourage you to consult your ENT surgeon at the earliest.

Hope, you are satisfied with the answer. If you have any further query, I am available to help it out, but if you don't require further clarification, please close the discussion and rate it as per your satisfaction.

With good wishes,