Child having severe dry cough. Suggest some medicine

My Son 1.7 yrs old he having too much dry cough. Want to know medicine for it.
Posted Sat, 23 Mar 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Santosh Kondekar 1 hour later
Hi there
For this age cough is often seen following a fever or runny nose… so if such a history is present, most likely the child is suffering from a recovering viral fever which often responds to sedative cough syrup for a week that gives some time for airway healing.
If the child had this history for months… and if there is a family history… all is likely to be allergy asthma or TB related…
But if there is no family history… no night exacerbation… this child may need an evaluation for difficult causes that may need CT Chest.

Hope I answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.