Child having severe cold and runny nose. Prescribed dilosyn syrup. Is this safe?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
hi my kid is having severe cold and rainy nose. dr has suggested to use dilosyn syrup. why it is used for? and what precautions we should take in terms of food?
Posted Thu, 28 Feb 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 11 hours later
Dilosyn syrup contains methdilazine which is an antihistamine used for allergic conditions ( cold cough).however due to its sideffects it's not very commonly prescribed unless other safer antihistamine ( chlorpeniramine ) etc have failed to cause relief.
The common sideffects are Drowsiness, CNS depression, headache, tremor, giddiness and paradoxical excitation in children.
You need to avoid any overdose and give it as per doctors prescription only.
Make sure your child has plenty of fluids ( water , juices etc).
I would recommend steam inhalations and zinc supplements to help in faster recovery.
Hope I have answered your query.
Let me know if you have any further queries.
Follow-up: Child having severe cold and runny nose. Prescribed dilosyn syrup. Is this safe? 45 minutes later
Hello Dr.

Thanks for reply. what kind of zinc suplement we can give? also he is having watery nose from last 3 days. we are giving him 2.5 ml dilosyn 3 times a day. he also seems to have some throat pain. should we change medicine or continue with the dilosyn only?

Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 2 hours later
Thanks for the follow up.
Any zinc supplement ( zinconia , Z&D etc) containing 20 mg of elemental zinc to be given once daily can be used.
You can continue with your doctors prescribed dilosyn . If however there is no relief I would suggest a chlorpeniramine or cetrizine containing syrup( chericoff or zyrcold) etc twice daily only after reevaluation by your doctor . Most colds take 7-10 days to resolve . So please do not worry . Only of no improvement is seen after a week a course of antibiotic or other alternative treatment might be required.
As of now you should give your child plenty of fluids , rest and adequate diet .
Continue medication as per advice.
Wishing your child a speedy recovery.