Child having loose motion. Stool test normal. Not cured by metronidazole. Any advice?

good day sir my child 2 and 1/2 years having loose motion 4 times aday the stool is loose and sometimes watery since more than 6 month even it always comes out of his diapers the stool examination is normal his weigt is ok not loosing weight we gave metronidazole with no response please advise.
Posted Sat, 27 Oct 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 8 hours later

Thank you for your query.

From your description I understand that you are worried about the 4 loose motions that your son has every day for the past 6 months. You have mentioned that the reports are normal and he is not losing weight. Under such circumstances I would ensure that the child is gaining adequate weight for his age and wait and watch. If he is maintaining his weight in normal limits as required for his age, I am not very concerned.

You can try modifying his diet by increasing more starchy food and reducing (not removing), fruits, XXXXXXX leafy vegetables, raisins, etc.

As the reports are normal, drugs like metronidazole are not going to make any change as is your observation.

I hope I have answered your query to your satisfaction. Please revert back for any clarifications or if you would like to share any other information in this regard.

Wishing your son all the best....