Child having headache, bloody nose and losing weight. Should I be concerned?

Dec 2012

My son is a basketball/football player at school. He is 6 ft 2 1/2 . He is solid and wieghts 248 right now. he lost about 40lbs. He as been having severe headaches and bloody nose. His blood pressure was 148/100 at 9:30am this Friday/ at 10:35am it was 140/80 with headache and at 11:0am it was 114/74 with headache. School acting principal insissted that we get clearence from a doctor to return to school sports. I took him to ER and doctor who saw him is very familiar with my sons health record. I am asking for another doctors advise. Should this be a alarm. He is 16yrs old. he turns 17 next month.
Posted Sun, 17 Mar 2013 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 31 minutes later

Thanks for posting on XXXXXXX

I think there are a good number of things that should make us a little worried, these are
- the fact that he is still young about 17
- his overweight/obese
- having epistaxis + headaches (hypertensive urgency or complication)
-HBP even though dropped later.
Your son should closely be monitored and examined for secondary causes of hypertension such as thyroid or kidney diseases or even his weight.
Being athletic is a positive point and I believe he should continue only after being properly evaluated to make sure that no underlying cause was responsible for the HBP and that the HBP was just physiological. Risk of recurrence is possible.
Lipid profile, EKG, kidney function tests should be done just to make sure that they are all normal and the risk of developing a cardiovacular complication is ruled out.

Hope this helps and wish you the best. Let me know if you for further information.
Dr Nsah

Follow-up: Child having headache, bloody nose and losing weight. Should I be concerned? 15 minutes later
I did forget to mention that blood test were done on August 31 2012 and it came back negative. This was reviewed by the ER Dr. on Friday. Is Cardivacular still something that need to be done? EKG was also done and was negative.
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 24 minutes later
Thanks for updating.
If those tests and EKG were done, then I do not think you should be worried much. Were his cholesterol levels tested?
Your son should continue being athletic.
If it repeats itself then a brain CT or MRI should be done to eliminate any intracranial abnormalities.

Thanks and hope I was helpful
Dr Nsah