Child having difficulty in concentrating on studies. Is this a problem?

Dear Doctor,

My daughter is an active child. I am unable to get her focus on her studies. She needs a lot of attention from my end. I am not too sure If I am able to guide her well as a Mother. Would like to find if she is a normal child and does she have any sort of medical issue, which is leading to such situation in her academics.
Kindly provide your valuable advice

Posted Fri, 20 Apr 2012 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 3 hours later

I appreciate your efforts for medical consultation at right time.

Possible causes of poor focus and interest in studies in your child:
-Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD)
-Learning disability
-Lack of interest
-Depression and anxiety
-Low Intelligent Quotient (IQ)

She need in person assessment by psychiatrist who can then perform some tests like: ADHD assessment, learning disability assessment and IQ assessment.

Apart from that vitamins deficiency can lead to poor concentration. Cow milk and overnight wet almond help in certain cases.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow ups.