Child having cough, stomach pain after the Azithral overdose. Side effects?

Hi, My doctor prescribed Azithral 200 mg for 3 days ( 5 ml once a day) for my 5 yr old daughter who weighs 16 kg. She had cough from past one week and no other symptoms apart from this.
My baby sitter by mistake gave 15 ml at one shot to her. my kid complained about stomach pain after an hour of consuming the medicine, i am at work and spoke to my daughter now and she seemed to be fine.
Will there be any side effects? should i consult the doctor? - XXXXXXX
Posted Sun, 15 Apr 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 24 minutes later

I shall make an effort to provide you with good professional recommendations specific to your questions.

Yes, that is an overdose of Azithromycin. You should not have entrusted prescription medicines to baby sitters.

If she fine now - good. But watch out for any symptoms that might occur. Continuous symptoms are more important than those that come and go.

Most important side effect to watch out for is irregular heart beat (pulse). As overdose is known to cause QT prolongation (Electrocardiogram changes) in susceptible ones. Let her take good rest and give enough fluids that might help wash out the drug from the kidney.

If she is absolutely fine in all activities and physical appearance and habits for next 2 days - you would not likely need help.

Let me know if I have missed out any other concern in your question.

Yet again, I duly appreciate your query to me, I do hope that you have found something useful to help you. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Dr Sujeet N Charugulla, MBBS, MD
Consultant Physician.