Child having clay colored stool. Should I be concern?

Pediatrician, Neonatology
My 3,5 years old son had a very light colored stool today (clay colored). He is a very picky eater, has strong reactions to milk, and having him eat healthy is a challenge, so I supplement with multivitamins. Overall he does not have any other symptoms and is very energetic.
Posted Tue, 22 Jan 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 42 minutes later
Welcome to HCM!
what you describe as a clay coloured stool is suggestive of obstructive jaundice/ hepatitis.

This can be found out by a blood test for liver functions including direct and indirect bilirubin.
But this condition is usually associated with some other symptoms like itching, dark pigmentation of skin,mild jaundice,poor appetite,etc.

If your child passes this type of stool just for 1-2 days, you need not worry.
But if it persists, you better show him to the pediatrician a d get him evaluated!
Good luck
God bless
Dr Uma