Child has typhoid, taking Zifi, on a low diet, now showing same symptoms, stomach and foot pain. Please advise

my daugther 5 years old has been diagnosed with typhoid on 31st may 2012 after 3 days in hospital she was on Tables Zifi 200mg for another 10 days two times a day, till 28th Jun 2012 she is fine and recovering and she was on low diet sometimes have ice creams on 29th XXXXXXX 2012 she again showing same symptoms she had before typhoid like fever 100 F, pain in stomach and foot, we went to same doctor again and she changed the antibiotic and siad typhoid will not back so early , now she is on AZITUS 5ml per 24 hr, please suggest shoul we go ahead with same or test? Please advice.
Posted Sat, 21 Jul 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Ramesh M.Vachharajani 31 minutes later
Hi Vjkumar,

Thanks for writing in.

It seems that there might be a relapse of typhoid or requires further investigations.

As full dose and proper duration of Zifi 200 is given, ideally there should not be relapse so it requires further evaluation.

What I suggest is go for,
1, CBC (complete blood count)
2, Widal test again
3, Chest X XXXXXXX

This will give clue about relapse or some other infection.

As you have started Azitus, you continue for 3-5 days.

After getting all the reports, your doctor will go for further line of treatment.

Give plenty of water. Give liquid diet.

Hope, I answered your query.

If you have further query or clarification, please ask.

I will be happy to help.

Follow-up: Child has typhoid, taking Zifi, on a low diet, now showing same symptoms, stomach and foot pain. Please advise 18 hours later
Thank you Sir for your suggestion, As u suggested for mentioned tests will do in a day or two , about her diet can we give her packed orange juice like (Real orange juice), boiled eggs since she is not eating much what would be ideal diet for her as she is very weak. Thanks. Regards. Vijay
Answered by Dr. Ramesh M.Vachharajani 38 minutes later

Thanks for writing back.

You can give light diet like plenty of milk; rice; butter milk; fresh fruits like orange / pineapple juices; boiled egg; dal water; etc.

In addition you may also feed her with bournvita; other health drinks; ice cream and so on.

Hope I answered your query. If you do not have any further clarification, you can close the discussion and rate the answer.

Wish your daughter speedy recovery.