Child has sticky and stringy stools, painful. Taking Prosobee. Sign of intolerance to formula?

My 3-month old son has been having sticky, stringy bowel movements that make him scream in pain. He had previously been on enfamil premium newborn, but was switched to prosobee (soy formula) about 6 weeks ago. Other than just prior to and during his bowel movements his is s happy baby. He has no signs of diaper rash that would cause him to scream. Could this be a sign of further intolerance to his formula? My pediatrician said he probably just doesn't like the sensation of the bm, but his shrieks of pain are making me think otherwise.
Posted Tue, 2 Oct 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 5 hours later

Thanks for your query on XXXXXXX

Children on formula feeds tend to have formed stools unlike breast-fed ones who have soft to semi-solid stools. The formed stools at times, though very unlikely, can cause anal fissure. Kindly ensure that your son has not got one.

Your pediatrician is right when he says that the child does not like the sensation of bowel movements. It is definitely not a sign of intolerance to formula.

I hope I have clarified your doubts that you are having.

Wishing your son all the best.

With best wishes.