Child has specific learning disability. Done WRAT test with low score. Recommendation?

My Son XXXXXXX is in class 8th CBSE,We have done his WRAT test and his score in Reading is 3B,Spelling 3B and Arithmetic 3M and doctor said severe learning diorder.Also met his teacher and she also said the same.My son works very hard and we also working hard with him but he is not able to get pass marks..Pls help and guide
Posted Thu, 5 Sep 2013 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Susanta Padhy 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
He will improve by special methods of teaching

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for the query

The condition you are referring to is called "specific learning disability"

Hard work may not help him / you

He needs special way/method of teaching that would be devised by your clinical psychologist depending upon the reading score / spelling score and arithmetic score.

On the contrary, putting unduly hard work in your own conventional way might put the child at risk of depression.

Therefore, it is highly suggested to consult a clinical psychologist who is good at such interventions.

Hope this helps.
Follow-up: Child has specific learning disability. Done WRAT test with low score. Recommendation? 28 minutes later
Doctor u right on this Pls suggest any good Psychologist in Nagpur also Pls suggest he wants to go to trip, play cricket also wants to join NCC.
octor also pls suggest can we continue with CBSE or is there is any other school as we are finding him and us in huge stress.Bad marks in exams also puts him and us under huge stress.He sometime does not want to go to school
Answered by Dr. Susanta Padhy 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
He can go for extracurricular activities

Detailed Answer:
He can very well go for like playing cricket, etc, whatever he likes

You can consult Dr XXXXXXX Bhave at nagpur in ramdasspet area, a XXXXXXX psychiatrist, competent, and focuses on school mental health. I am sure he will guide you further

Without assessing him in detail in person, may not be a wise for me to suggest about change of school

Usually, people with specific learning disability, over the period, loose interest in study, refuse to go to school, get stressed. depressed etc. So, earlier we start intervention, better it is to prevent complications

Be patience, keep yourself in control. If you get impatient how you can take care of the child who is already stressed out.