Child has red, blotchy rash on face and limbs. Fever, swollen lymph nodes. No itching

Hi My son was at daycare 3 days ago when he developed a red blotchy rash on his face, arms and legs. He was the 3rd child at daycare to get this. I took him to the ER and they said it was viral. He had a low grade fever which went away right away. He had very swollen lymph nodes so they gave him antibiotics for it. His lymph nodes are no longer swollen but his rash has not gone away. It seems to go away if he sits still or if he is having a nap but if he is outside or running around or has a bath it comes back full force. It does not seem to itch but he is very irritable.
Thank you.
Posted Thu, 13 Sep 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Neelam Ashish Vanjari 1 hour later

Thanks for writing in.
From the history given by you, it looks like it is viral exanthems leading to rash over his body.

Many viral infections do cause rashes on the body in pediatric population. Fever may subside but rashes may take some time to disappear. Chicken pox and measles, rubella viral infection have characteristic rash but will not go away with rest or nap.

It looks like simple viral infection causing rash on body. You can apply Cetaphil lotion on his rashes. It has soothing effect.
You can give him antihistaminic like Syrup Atarax after consultation with physician. This drug requires prescription by physician.

Within weeks time, your son will be alright with no fever and rash. But if it persists, you need to consult pediatrician again for clinical examination.
I hope I have answered your query. In case of any doubt, I shall be happy to help you.
Best regards,
Dr. Neelam.