Child has rash on chest, back, neck, no sign of hives or itching, feeling of inflamed lymph node under arms. Reason?

My nine yr old daughter has a rash on her chest back neck and behind the ears. The isnt complaining of itching. It doesnt look hivey, almost smaller and rougher feeling. One lymph node under her arm feels inflamed as well.
Posted Mon, 3 Jun 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 2 hours later

I understand your concern and I hope I am able to help you for the same
From the description of the skin lesions that your child is developing, the closest possibility that comes to my mind is that of seborrheic eczema.

Seborrheic eczema is quite common in the age group that your child is in. It leads to itching and redness in the affected area and can lead to development of itchy papular raised lesions in the affected areas which mostly includes face,scalp,chest, upper back and the area behind the ears.
The most important thing in this case is the avoidance of oil application. Your child will need application of topical mild steroid cream like hydrocortisone in the affected area twice a day.
The important thing is that such lesions can be recurrent in nature. Every time a short course of topical steroid application might be required whenever is an exacerbation.

The skin lesions will improve once the child grows up.

Now any kind of skin problem can lead to swelling and some tenderness of the regional lymph nodes, which is what, has happened in your child. Therefore, you need not worry about the swollen lymph nodes. They will subside as the skin lesions heal

Hope it helps
If you have any other query, I will be happy to answer.

Dr Geetika Pauk