Child has pale white patches on face. Using sorbelene cream. Proper medication?

Dermatologist
Question
My6 month old daughteris having pale white patches on face mainly around eyes,nose. We are only using Sorbelene Cream on her face and stopped using Johnson's baby soap on her face as well. Pls suggest. The patches on cheek,beside the ear under the eyes are increasing slowly.
Posted Tue, 18 Dec 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 59 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX XXXXXXX

Thanks for writing in.

Some pigmentation disorders can start at birth.Also some pale patches can appear normally also.

Before commenting on treatment I would like to know-
Is there any itching or symptoms?
Is the overlying skin normal?Any scaling /roughness/redness at the borders?
Are the patches increasing slowly or rapidly?wer they present at birth?

Can you post photos of the affected area?
Photos can help a lot in predicting the condition.
Photos can be uploaded by using UPLOAD YOUR REPORTS SECTION.

Answer the questions and upload the photos so that we can continue our discussion here.

Awaiting your response.

DrSudarshan
MD Dermatology.

Follow-up: Child has pale white patches on face. Using sorbelene cream. Proper medication? 9 hours later
No itching or symptoms.
Overlying skinnormal.Scaling of skin is little bit. No Roughness or redness.
Patches increasing slowly.Not present at birth.

We are unable to loadphotos. It is giving error asfollows.
Upload has some errors. Please Check
IMG_1113[1] has not been uploaded. Please upload only pdf,jpg,jpeg,tif,png,tiff

Will try sending you againsoon.

THanks.

Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 10 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX,

Im not able to see the photographs. You can email me the photographs at YYYY@YYYY
With attention Dr XXXXXXX in subject line
Send the photos and we can continue the discussion here.

Regard.

Follow-up: Child has pale white patches on face. Using sorbelene cream. Proper medication? 7 hours later
Hi Doctor,

I am attaching photos of my 6 month old daughter. All the patches you can easily see . I had put a dark circle around the patches.
DO NOT WORRY ABOUT SOME REDNESS IN PHOTOS AS SHE HAD SCRATCHED HERSELF WITH HER FINGERNAILS.

Please give us a feedback after seeing the photos.

Thanks,
XXXXXXX.

Hi XXXXXXX,

Thanks for the details. Ive gone through the images.
The white spots can be due pityriasis XXXXXXX or lichenoid dermatitis or vitiligo.

Except vitiligo the above two conditions are very benign and easily treatable.

Now my advise to you would be to
-Stop Using any soap you are using .
-Stop sorbelene powder
-Apply good quality moisturizer like Venusia lotion by DrReddys lab.
-Also you can apply EUMOSONE cream ,very slight amount on the white spots only at night time.Apply this cream only for 15 days.This is a very mild topical steroid and will treat all the above condition.

With this measures everything should be alright after 15 days.If the patches do not respond or increase in size then a visit to dermatologist and Woods lamp examination would be needed.

Hope this helps.
DrSudarshan

Follow-up: Child has pale white patches on face. Using sorbelene cream. Proper medication? 18 hours later
Thanks for the reponse Doctor. One more thing just to let you know that we are currently residing in Australia, so can you please prescribe a medicine we can buy here, as we would be travelling to India in Feb 2013. Waiting for your response.

Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 13 hours later
Hi again,
Eumosone cream is by XXXXXXX and is available all over the world.if you dont get venusia in australia you can use any moisturizer with XXXXXXX butter.
Hope this helps.