Child has moderate hydronephrosis in kidney due to uretricobstruction and narrowing of pelvic uretric junction. Suggest?

Jul 2016

when my son is five year old there is moderate hydronephrosis is noted in the right kidney due to uretericobstruction.t renal pelvis is dilated and there is abrupt narrowing at pelvic uretreic junction. then he got operated for puj obstruction removal then doctor said that there will be no puj obstruction but after one year also the scanning report it showing abrupt narrowing at pu junction and mild hydronephrosis on right side of the kidney please clarify my dought is there still any problem
Posted Tue, 1 Oct 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Your son had PUJ obstruction.

Detailed Answer:

Based on the facts that you have posted it appears that your six years old son had congenital Pelvi Ureteric Junction (PUJ) obstruction and was operated for Pyeloplasty to repair the defect .

You have recently repeated his IVP one year after syrgery which shows abrupt narrowing at PUJ.with mild hydronephrosis of the collecting system.

Normally hydronephrosis that develops due to incomplete drainage of urine from renal pelvis in to ureter due to obstruction is the main concern in treatment of this condition and during the surgery the narrowed obstructed portion of the ureter is excised and continuity of the ureter is restored.

The size of the renal pelvis being large compared to the size of the ureter it may show abrupt narrowing but since the hydronephrosis has reduced from moderate to mild after surgery , you should not worry at all.
It will become normal over a period of few more years as the child grows.

You can post me photographs of IVP films taken both before and after surgery to make me comments in detail.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any more questions please feel free to ask me I shall be happy to help you