Child has loose motion and vomiting. Please advise

Question
my baby girl 6 months old suffering from loose motion and vomiting since morning Please advice
Posted Mon, 24 Sep 2012 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Mihail Iepure 25 minutes later
Welcome to Healthcare Magic,
At this stage you must assure adequate hydration and nutrition as many complications are due to malnutrition and dehydration. Monitor your baby and if vomiting will continue and you will detect fever then take him/her to Hospital without delay, there you should request stool sample for analysis ( to detect bacteria, viruses or parasites ) and blood work ( complete blood count, liver function test , biochemistry, amylase, lipase, ). In many cases acute gastroenteritis occur in viral infections and in such cases they will prescribe Oral rehydration salts ( dilute in water ), zinc sulfate , intravenous rehydration fluids. If they will confirm that diarrhea occur due to bacterial infections then antibiotics require in such case. Remember that breastfeeding are most important to reduce severity of diarrhea.
Hope this helps and I have answered your query. If you have additional queries don’t hesitate to ask.

Best Regards,

Dr.Mihail

Follow-up: Child has loose motion and vomiting. Please advise 17 minutes later
my wife is not able to provide breastfeeding to her daughter and we are just giving her double toned milk and crushed parle-g in it, I'm thinking that I should give her ORS Oral rehydration salts-citrate i.p. plz advise will that work.

Plz advice what else can be done to make her comfortable and sleep. In motion she ejects water and not feeling comfortable in stomach I think so.

Answered by Dr. Mihail Iepure 2 hours later
Welcome back,
Yes, practically you can start now with ORS and assure minimum of 50-100 ml per kg weight , plus Probiotics ( supplements ) plus zinc sulfate tablets once daily for ten days, start as soon as possible normal meals for her, check quality and hygienic condition of milk you provide for her, but if there will be frequently diarrhea and vomiting she must be monitored in emergency department for minimum 4 hours.

Best Regards,

Dr.Mihail