Child has hard lump on lower back, no pain. What could this be?

General Surgeon
My 14 year old son has a hard lump on his lower back just above his tail bone. It is not hurting and he is in no pain. He plays Aussie rules football. What could this be. We went to the physio and he has made me very concerned. I can not get into the doctors until next week. My son is not concerned but I am. Thanks for your help.
Posted Sun, 16 Sep 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 3 hours later

Thank you for the query.
It would be easier to answer your question if you could attach a photo of it or provide informations such as: since when is this lump, how big it is, is it movable, any history of trauma in this region?

However, if it is not painful, no red skin above it, no trauma history and the bruise is movable, most likely it is a lipoma. It is a benign soft tissue tumor that appears spontaneously as a small tumor, and can enlarge through the years. Lipmas are rarely life-threatening and can be easily removed by small surgery.

Another condition quite often in this region and sometimes painless (especially at the beginning of it appearance) is pilonidal cyst. This one is hard, not movable and leads to very painful abscess of this region. Pilonidal cyst is caused by ingrown hair which causes inflammatory response of the area it appears. It should be surgically removed as well.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.