Child has hair loss, used Folica. Is there any treatment? Is scalp biopsy done in Hyderabad?

My 17 year old daughter is undergoing severe hair loss for now almost 2 years.It started when we moved to canada for a year but now it is resulting in thinning of hair on scalp.Genetic and stress both can be cause but is there any treatment available for it?i live in hyderabad city and i am already providing my child with vitamins and healthy diet.i have even used folica twice in a week but with no there any treatment for it?is will it be scalp biopsy done in this city?whom should i consult?
Posted Thu, 24 May 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 17 minutes later

I can appreciate your concern. There could be various reason for hair loss in her case like

1. Iron and vitamin deficiency
2. Dandruff
3. Hormonal imbalance like thyroid problem
4. Stress
5. Poor eating habits etc.

It is better that you take her to dermatologist and get her examined. Your doctor may ask for some blood tests and will do local examination to look for the cause.

In mean time,

Please do the following
1. Ask her to avoid tie them to tight, apply oil on regular basis, do not do vigorous combing
2. Avoid direct sun exposure
3. Take healthy and balanced diet comprising milk, milk products, pulses and lots fruits and XXXXXXX vegetables.
4. Use good quality shampoo, do not switch brands frequently
5. Continue with iron and vitamin supplements.
6. Drink plenty of liquids

I hope this helps.

Please write again if you have something more to ask, in case of no further query please accept the answer.

Wishing her good health.

Follow-up: Child has hair loss, used Folica. Is there any treatment? Is scalp biopsy done in Hyderabad? 16 minutes later
I already got her haemoglobin and thyroid tests done few months back.Her hb was 10 and thyroid was in normal limits.She has been on a healthy diet with supplements of iron and vitamins for almost a year.Eating habits too are normal.My concern is we do have genetic history of baldness.Her father lost his hair in late twenties.Shampoo too is very mild ,she is not using any conditioners.Is there any further test or treatment available as i m already doing what you have suggested.
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 1 hour later

Good to hear from you again so soon.

Her haemoglobin is low. She needs iron supplements for at least 3 months. By now her haemoglobin should be normal with good diet and supplements. Even after one year if her Hb is not coming to normal then cause of this also needs to find out.

Along with this please her diet XXXXXXX in iron like milk and milk products, XXXXXXX leafy vegetables etc.

It is good that her thyroid is normal.

As advised please visit a dermatologist who can help with this and can also advise if any further tests are required.

After that if the doctor feels any need, he may ask you to consult a tricologist(hair specialist) for further assistance and some sophisticated tests as per the need.

Genes do play a role, but not necessarily is the only reason.

As a first step now, please visit a dermatologist.