Child has flu like symptoms, pain on cheek and blockage in nose. What's going on?

My 5.5 year old complaining cheek hurts. Just getting over flu like symptoms has had a spotty ever. his right nasal passage is full of whatever.
Posted Mon, 25 Mar 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 9 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

I would appreciate if you can provide me with the following details to give some guidance:
1. Where exactly is your son's cheek hurting and from when?
2. From when was he having flu like symptoms?
3. What medication has he received for his flu?

In flu, one can have a nasal discharge which may block the nasal passage. The usual decongestants prescribed takes care of the discharge and helps open the blocked passage.

For the pain in your son's cheek you can give him Tylenol three to four times a day and observe. In case there is no improvement then he should be examined by the doctor to know the exact location where it is hurting. If it is a dental reason then he shall be accordingly referred to a dentist.

I hope I have answered your query to your satisfaction. Please feel free to revert back in case you need any clarifications or would like to share more facts of the case.

Wishing your son a speedy recovery.