Child has fever, headache and stomachache. What is the disease and required treatment?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Feb 2013
Feb 2013

Pediatrician
Question
Hi, My daughter is 9 years old and has a fever of 38.07. She also has a headache in the middle of her forehead and complains of stomach pain. She can not keep anythin down including orange and water. It started last night about 6.30pm. Fever then was 37.8. The highest today re 2pm was 39.65. I gave her a tepid bath and it went down to 38.07. She is now resting. She needs to close her eyes because of the headache.
Posted Sat, 6 Apr 2013 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 27 minutes later

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

Your child seems to have a viral illness with the features of gastritis.

For fever and headache, you can give Tylenol in prescribed dosage every 6th hourly depending on the presence of the symptoms.

If there is high grade fever, you can do tepid sponging with lukewarm water after giving Tylenol.

As there are vomitings, an anti emetic drug like ondansetron in prescribed dosage can be given to stop the vomitings.

Give plenty of oral fluids and oral rehydration solutions like Pedialyte, coconut water, and lemon water in sips to prevent dehydration.

Monitor her hydration by her activity, urine output, skin turgor, and moisture of tongue and oral cavity.

Provide adequate rest.

Consult your Pediatrician and get examined your child to assess her hydration and to look for any focus of infection and for basic investigations if required.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.

Regards.

Follow-up: Child has fever, headache and stomachache. What is the disease and required treatment? 4 hours later
Hello, it's now 2 hrs later. My daughter has eaten and drank but still has a fever of 38.75. Even though she has this fever she is cold & under a light quilt. The headache is still the same however stomach pains have lessened but are still uncomfortable. I tried dehydrates but she says it tastes like chlorine (salt water actually, I tried it too). What else do i need to do?

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 3 hours later

Thank you for getting back.

You can continue Tylenol as advised every 6 th hourly if there is fever and headache.

Oral rehydration solution should contain sugar and salt, and to be given sip by sip, and if you don't know to prepare it at home you can get from pharmacy in with the name of Pedialyte.

Check the temperature regularly.

Children will have a larger body surface area, and the heat will get lost from the uncovered parts, so they feel cold inspite of having fever.

Consult your Pediatrician as early as possible for the examination and for further evaluation.

Regards.