Child has diarrhea, green-yellow stools, nappy rash. Applied Timodene. Teething problems?

Hi. My baby has had diarrhoea for 6 days now, pale green/ yellow in colour & almost resembles cottage cheese. Sometimes more watery than others. It has led to severe nappy rash which is hard to control when she is having motions 10-15 times a day. Got a steroid cream (timodene) last week but this made it worse so despite a 2nd visit to the doc with advice to keep using it, I actually stopped because it got aggressively worse. She is formula fed (hipp) and has been in this post breastfeeding for the last few months with no problems at all. She is 6 months next week. Could it just be teething? She has been rubbing her ear, good in spirit other than when her motions sting, eating well & chewing on her fingers a lot. I'm now using castor oil/zinc oxide cream & have been letting her bottom get as much air as poss which seems to be improving it a little. I'm more concerned about the diarrhoea at the moment.
Posted Sat, 6 Apr 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Y V Siva Sankara Murty 37 minutes later

Thanks for writing to health care magic.

First you will have to prevent dehydration in your baby.

Monitor for signs of dehydration.
They include
1. Decreased skin turgor. The skin becomes less elastic.
2. Increasing thirst.
3. Sunken eyes.
4. Irritability.
5. Drowsiness.
6. Decreasing passage of urine.

Oral rehydration solution should be given to prevent dehydration. Any solution that contains salt and sugar can also be used.
If the baby develops dehydration despite oral rehydration solution then baby may require intravenous fluids.

I personally prefer to give the zinc oxide cream that you are already using (I personally do not prefer to use the steroid cream).
You are correct in exposing the bottom to air. This will help in the healing of the diaper rash.
Avoid using soap in the region. Do not use a rough cloth to clean the area. Instead put the baby's bottom under running water.

Your question was "Could it just be teething"

Teething does not cause loose motions directly. But during teething because of the sore gums they tend to put every thing in the mouth and chew them. This may result in infections and loose motions.

Does you baby's stool contain blood?
Is there any fever associated?
In the absence of these complaints it could be a viral diarrhea and some times it may take a little bit longer. Do not worry if the baby's hydration is maintained.

Was a stool routine examination done?

I hope your baby was started on probiotics and Zinc syrup by your doctor. They are useful in a baby with diarrhea.

Hope this helps.
Please feel free to ask further questions.