Child has croup, dots on neck and torso, not itchy, not flaky, fast breathing, very clingy. Had fever. Concerned.

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
I have a 19 month old son who went to the Dr 2 weeks ago for croup. Last week he developed flat red pin head dots around neck and on his torso, looks something like blood blisters. The small red spots have spread to his legs but are faint. They do not itch and are not flakey. 3 nights ago he got a fever 102.3 and Dr said earache. He has had 2 doses of antibiotic. He still has the rash and fever. He has very fast breathing, is very clingy and hasn't been eating well. I am concerned he could have something more. No vomiting or diarhea. Please help.
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 32 minutes later

I understand your concern and appreciate your efforts for being a vigilant parent.

I agree with you that a high fever and rash along with fast breathing is definitely a matter of
concern. The common causes are viral hemorrhagic fevers or bacterial infections causing septicemia or pneumonia all of which warrant a thorough investigation to confirm the diagnosis.

Since you have already been to the doctor who has diagnosed it to be an ear infection, the antibiotic prescribed is appropriate and symptoms should improve after 48 hrs of starting the antibiotic.

But according to me, fast breathing, refusal to feed and a petechial rash is not usual in a ear infection and I would advise you consult your paediatrician for getting confirmatory tests like complete blood counts, blood smear, X XXXXXXX chest, throat swab etc. done.

These tests will help in confirming whether it is a severe infection or a minor bacterial infection which is likely to respond to the present antibiotic cefdinir. Also, please discuss with your doctor who can auscultate the chest and see if there is a requirement for nebulisation to help the child in relieving any breathing difficulty.

Till your appointment you can minimise your childs’ symptoms by
1. Keeping him well hydrated with plenty of water and other fluids like soups, warm milk etc
2. Keep a fever chart or diary mentioning time of each spike and continue tylenol round the clock if required every 6-8 hours
3. Steam inhalations thrice daily or nebulisation as prescribed to relieve any chest congestion.

Please do not worry as the chances are that your child may feel better with few more doses of the antibiotic but I would still advise to consult your doctor as soon as feasible and get baseline investigations done to be on the safer side rather than wait n watch.

Hope I have answered the query.

I'll be available for any follow up queries.