Child has coronary arteries located above heart. Diagnose with Syncope. What does it mean?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Feb 2013
Feb 2013

Pediatrician
Question
What does it mean when a pediatric cardiologist finds that your 13 year old daughters right coronary artery is located above the heart. She was diagnosed with a minor case of neurocardiagenic syncope. In same appointment they did a catscan and said they wouldn't find anything but then got concerned when he found that. waiting for stress test appointment. Just want to know what this means for her health or what they are looking for.
Posted Tue, 3 Dec 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 55 minutes later
Brief Answer: They looking for relavance of abnormality. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic. Right coronary artery location above the heart may be suggestive of abnormal position of that artery which is a congenital (since birth) anomaly of coronary arteries during the process of heart development during embryonic period. Coronary arteries supply blood to heart thus they are crucial in maintaining heart function and significant anatomical anomalies of coronary arteries such as narrowing, thrombosis, or any disturbance in coronary artery integrity will lead to heart disease. As the child developed syncope, the doctors are trying to correlate the finding of this abnormal location of right coronary artery to her symptoms by doing further investigation with stress test. So the doctors are trying to look whether this abnormality is clinically significant to cause any symptoms in the child or it is a just coincidental finding. Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know. Regards.

Follow-up: Child has coronary arteries located above heart. Diagnose with Syncope. What does it mean? 7 hours later
What would some treatments be if this is causing her dizziness, lightheadness and blurred vision?

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 2 hours later
Brief Answer: drugs like beta blockers Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for getting back. If the abnormally positioned right coronary artery producing these symptoms, the available treatments are: 1. Beta-adrenergic drugs such as propranolol in selected cases. 2. Loop diuretic drugs such as Furosemide if there are symptoms of congestive heart failure. 3. Surgical repair of the problem if the abnormality is disturbing or obstructing blood flow to the heart. Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know. Regards.